Give Me the Simple Life: Simple Pleasures

Desktop

Aren’t simple pleasures the very best ones?

Little things that don’t really cost a thing (or not much, anyway), but they are tremendously satisfying. They help us slow down and live “in the moment,” to fully appreciate our life. Most simple pleasures seem to be connected with appreciating nature, it seems. Here is a small list of the little things that bring me joy:

Tomatoes from the garden.
Walking the dog on a summer morning.
Listening to classical music.
Good coffee.
A great book.
Popcorn and an old movie on DVD.
The smell of fresh-cut grass.
Watching the sunrise.
Walking on the beach.
A gentle morning run.
Watching the sunset.
Hugging your child tightly.
Dark chocolate.
Laughing until your sides ache.
A long conversation with a good friend.
Root beer float.
Waking to a clean house.
An uncluttered room.
Watching your child play.
Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies.
Helping someone in need.
Making someone smile.
Homemade pie.
A nature hike.
Laying back and watching the stars.
Watching your children on Christmas morning.
Laying back and looking up at clouds.
Watching the ocean.
Reese’s peanut butter cups. Right out of the freezer.
Iced tea.
Taking a hot bath on a winter night.
A gentle breeze.
The feeling after a good workout.
Checking something off your to-do list.
Writing on good paper with a good pen.
A clear desk.
Fresh popped popcorn.
A fresh snow.
Swinging on a swing.
Homemade strawberry shortcake.
Watching animals in nature.
An empty email inbox.

Send me a few of your simple pleasures and you could win a copy of Amish Values for Your Family! I’ll share a list of your favorite things next Tuesday and announce the winner! Once you start . . . you can’t stop. As Martha Stewart would say, “It’s a good thing.”

The winner of last week’s giveaway is LISA COWELL! Please email info {at} suzannewoodsfisher {dot} com to claim your prize.

thechoice-banner

Start the Lancaster County series today! Pick up a copy of The Choice ebook for FREE from AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Christian Book Distributors!

Comments

1. rachel plouffe says:

My family

2. debbie mosley says:

1.first my family what makes me happy 2. my fur babies always bring me pleasure. 3. cool crisp mornings 4.the sound of a childs laughter.

3. Lynn Grier says:

My Husband and our Dog Duffee

4. Jennifer Helm says:

Everyone safe at home at the end of the day.
    Sitting on the porch listening to crickets. Eating watermelon.

5. Donna Bayar Repsher says:

You listed so many of my simple pleasures already:

Tomatoes from the garden.
    Good coffee.
    A great book.
    Popcorn and an old movie on DVD.
    The smell of fresh-cut grass.
    Walking on the beach.
    Watching the sunset.
    Dark chocolate.
    Laughing until your sides ache.
    A long conversation with a good friend.
    Helping someone in need.
    Making someone smile.
    Homemade pie.
    Laying back and watching the stars.
    Laying back and looking up at clouds.
    Watching the ocean.
    Writing on good paper with a good pen.
    A clear desk.
    A fresh snow.
    Swinging on a swing.
    Watching animals in nature.

And I’d have to add these:

Picking up seashells and sea glass on a beach walk.
    Playing with my kitties and watching them chase things in their dreams
    The sound of rain on a tin or metal roof.
    The smell of the earth after it rains.
    Iced coffee.
    A pineapple thick shake (my mother’s favorite).
    Eating lobster.
    Having people enjoy food I’ve prepared.
    The smell of bed linens dried on the clothesline.
    The scent of pine woods in the rain.
    A starry night filled with fireflies.
    Hot cocoa on a cold, snowy day.
    The sounds of waterfalls and creeks.

I think I go on for days!

6. Debbie Hazelton says:

A simple pleasure for me is having my grandchildren around. Spending time with them and cooking in the kitchen with them. Just love it.

7. Renee says:

1. Moments with my kids, laughing and joking.
    2. Watching my daughter help her Dad with yardwork.
    3. My kids’ happiness after a successful lemonade stand.
    4. Enjoying a movie and popcorn with my family.
    5. Reading a good book while I walk.

8. Having my grandsons visit. Walking on the beach at sunrise or sunset.(It’s just so peaceful hearing the water lap up on the shore.

9. Sally Davison says:

A smiling child. A laughing child on a swing. Family & friends enjoying my home-cooked meals. Eating cookie dough. A deer in my yard. A goose in my yard and pond for 3 weeks. A gentle breeze on a warm day. Blooming flowers. A butterfly flitting around. A few of my favorites things…

10. Kathy Faberge says:

Sitting in the shade of a tall, leafy tree on a summer day.

11. Sandi Ansell says:

I enjoy flowers and I love to go to Lowe’s and buy the ones they have discarded for a cheap price and nursing them back to health.

12. MaryC says:

Clean house, good movie, popcorn and family!

13. Linda McFarland says:

My simple pleasures include time spent with my husband and fur baby sitting on our deck enjoying a peaceful evening, steaks (filet mignon) on the grill, teaching children at Vacation Bible School, fireworks on the 4th of July, reading the Bible, talking to my mom on the phone, sleeping late, watching lightning bugs…it is hard to stop listing things! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the simple pleasures of life…Linda

14. Brenda Newcomer says:

Some simple pleasures that I treasure are:
    The quietness of the day before others are awake while I thank and praise God for allowing me another day on earth, the freedoms we have in the United States of America, laundry drying outside in the fresh air, children’s belly laughter, the smell of just cut grass, fragrant flowers, sound and smell of a gentle rain, the satisfaction of having newly cleaned windows, completing a crochet or cross stitch project, banana splits (no nuts) on a hot, humid day, time to sit and read on the porch with a gentle breeze blowing, air conditioner humming, smell of homemade chicken pot pie, just baked cookies, cinnamon, vanilla, and apple pies! I could go on and on. I am very fortunate to be blessed with so many pleasures! 🙂

15. June Shirey says:

Great book, praying, reading God’s word, grandchildren, family, friends, ocean, quality time with my husband, crocheting, cooking with my husband, working on projects around the house with my husband, spending time alone with God and listening for him to speak.

16. Sierra Faith says:

A Good book
    Family
    writing
    Riding
    knitting
    tree climbing
    chatting with friends
    riding my bike

those are just a few 🙂

17. Joseph says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos
    to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?