A Day in My Life: My Little Visitors

A week or two ago, my little grandchildren came to visit for a weekend. They live in Seattle, so we don’t see them as often as we’d like. As in, each and every day.
IMG_2650

Desktop-001

Kaitlyn is 18 months and loves dogs and loves to eat. Toffee, the dog, spent the weekend looking worried.

IMG_2671

Blake is three–nearly four! Never without a ball in his hand. Toffee continues to look and act worried with two little people in the house who were constantly looking for her to play with them.

Desktop-002

Story time with Papa!

IMG_2673

Desktop-003

IMG_2690

This was the only benefit Toffee found in having little noisy houseguests: dropped Cheerios.

Desktop-004

One of Blake’s favorite things to do, besides play basketball, is to play pingpong with Papa.

IMG_2704

Kaitlyn is making a brief appearance, all dressed up, for a baby shower for my daughter-in-law, Amanda. Then…she had to take a nap.

Desktop-005

A little downtime with Winnie the Pooh and Mimi’s (moi) new iPad.

Desktop-006

The weekend went too quickly! Not for Toffee, but for the rest of us.

Happily, these two are scheduled to return in early August so Mimi and Papa can babysit them for a week. We’re trying to plan an adventure a day. We welcome your suggestions for outings or activities–age appropriate for 1 1/2 and 3 year olds. Any ideas?

Leave a comment with an idea for us and you’ll be entered in winning a signed copy of Amish Values for Your Family. And…thank you for your help!

revealing-ncbanner

amishproverbs-banner-5.99

On sale for a limited time! Get a copy of the Amish Proverbs ebook for just $5.99 from AmazonBarnes & Noble, or Christian Book Distributors.

Start the Lancaster County series today! Pick up a copy of The Choice ebook for FREE from AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Christian Book Distributors!

Comments

1. Mary Taylor says:

You have such adorable grandchildren. Kaitlyn’s little curls are so precious.

2. Rebecca says:

Hi Suzanne, I am so happy you had a fun visit with your grandkids, Blake and Kaitlyn. They sure are cute. I think taking them to a park and having a picnic would be fun then they could also play on the playground. If you have a zoo nearby that is always a fun activity for the whole family. If you want to plan something to do at your house bubbles and chalk are fun activities as well. I hope you have a fun filled week with them. Blessings!

3. Donna Ratliff says:

I’ve been sitting here admiring your two little blessings (little in stature, age only), but the blessings they are, cannot be matched with words. I write because I am in awe of these little ones, and rejoice in the thoughts of the heritage they have. An Oh, those eyes. I just want to reach through the screen (if it were possible) and hug them. I’m not writing for a chance of a book, for I don’t have ability to do Ebooks, and because my grandchildren are scattered in 5 different states, I’ve missed so much of their lives. They are 7-26 so I’m out of touch with adventures for the younger ones, but just couldn’t let today go by without sharing with their grandma how darling they are (not that you don’t already experientially know). Thanks for blessing me with sharing them. No need for response – just had to speak my heart.

• Hi Donna! I know how you feel about having grandchildren live far away…these two are 1,000 miles away from us. So glad technology makes it easier to stay in touch. Thanks for caring, Donna! And btw…the book I am giving away is a hard copy! Warmly, Suzanne

4. Connie Saunders says:

Suzanne, your grandchildren are both beautiful and I can understand your need to see them more often. After many, many years of thinking I would never be a grandmother, I now have an almost 5 month old granddaughter, Isabella, and she is giving us such joy.
    You asked for ideas. I imagine just being with Mimi, Papa and Toffee is quite exciting because simple things mean so much to children. Going for a drive, stopping for an I’ve cream cone, running in a park. I don’t know if Summer Reading Programs at your library will still be active in August but as a former public librarian, I would suggest checking to see if they have anything scheduled. If not, just a visit to the library usually is so special to little ones. I know these aren’t over-the-top ideas but some of my best memories with my grandparents were so simple but so very special and it was because I had their undivided attention and their unending love. Enjoy your visit and blessings to all of you!
    Connie

• Hi Connie! I love those ideas–good reminder to keep it simple. And so happy to read about Isabella! I’d love to see a pix sometime. Such happy days when a baby is in our lives. Warmly, Suzanne

5. Karla Hanns says:

How about visiting a splashpad for an afternoon?? Splashpads and playgrounds are always a hit!

6. Faith Posten says:

Your grandchildren are absolutely adorable as are all grandchildren! Unfortunately I don’t live anywhere near you; but I would definitely suggest you spend at least one day at the zoo. Nothing that I know of beats the delight of children watching/seeing animals. It has to be a major fun thing for children of all ages. LOL Of course, if you live near an adventure park; that is also a lot of fun. Happy grand sitting! 🙂

7. Kay Bossard says:

My grandchildren are all grown up now but remember them at this age. They were so much fun but takes extra time and patience when they are yet so small. We always went to the Zoo at least once in the the Summer and rode the train! We also went to the playground and then to get ice cream. I am sure you will have fun no matter what you do! Enjoy!

8. Renee says:

I recommend the library, too. Even if the Summer Reading Programs aren’t still going on, they probably have storytimes or other special activities. I also recommend movies and concerts in the park, if your local parks and recreation conducts those.

9. Sunnie says:

Love your cute grandkids. Grandkids are so wonderful to have. I would never have wanted to miss this opportunity at being young at heart all over again!

10. Ruth Smith says:

what beautiful grand babies!!! I know Poppaw is proud to be the one reading the stories!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures and also congratulations on your new expected grandbaby!! God’s Little Angels are such a Blessing!!

11. Andrea Brooks says:

Children’s museums with hands on activities and or a nice picnic in a local park with a kiddie playground.

12. Judy Tulloch says:

Kaitlyn and Blake are so adorable. I have 5 grandchildren ranging from ages 6yrs to 16 yrs.. Does your library have a children’s hour you can take them to? A children’s zoo, children’s museum and the aquarium are some suggestions to take them to.

13. sharon says:

We have 4 grandchildren in two years and are busy. We all live in the same city and take them to the park, playground, library and enjoy the bio-park as well. Sights, sounds, exploring outside and kicking a ball around is fun.

14. angie (from England) says:

Absolutely precious!

15. Hello, for all time i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the daylight,
    for the reason that i love to learn more and more.

16. Dana O. says:

Your grandchildren are adorable! One of my fondest memories of my Memaw is when we made cookies together. During the younger ages, we made snickerdoodles and my job was dipping the glass in the cinnamon sugar and mashing the ball of cookie dough.