Friday Fun: Amish Wisdom Recap

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 9.22.36 AM

A few weeks ago, I shared with you my own”Dream Come True“–the launch of Amish Wisdom, and it has been such a joy to see this community of authors and readers come together! Each day I learn something new–from recipes to book news to facts about the Amish. What fun! If you haven’t had a chance to take a stroll around the site, here is a recap of what went on this week at Amish Wisdom:

On Monday’s Book Nook, Charlotte Hubbard shared the story behind her new release, Breath of Spring. I already love the banter between Annie Mae and Adam Wagler–they seem like quite the pair!

Ora Jay and Irene Eash, authors of Plain Faith, painted a picture of what it is like to travel in a horse-drawn buggy. Did you know a buggy can cost between $3,000 and $5,000?! Check out Tuesday’s Traveler’s Tips to learn more buggy-101.

A reader asked, “Are the Amish allowed to read and study the Bible for themselves?” on Wednesday’s Ask the Amish. Carol Carman answered the question and gave us a clearer picture of Amish traditions and beliefs.

I can’t wait to see what scrumptious recipe is in store for today’s Cook’s Corner!

What is something you learned on Amish Wisdom this week? Or what would you like to see on Amish Wisdom? Answer in the comment section for the chance to win a copy of Amish Values for Your Family! Winner will be announced next Friday.

Speaking of winners, last week’s winner is DEE KINCADE. Please email info {at} suzannewoodsfisher {dot} com to claim your prize.

thechoice-banner-apr-jun

Start the Lancaster County series today! Pick up a copy of The Choice ebook for FREE from AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Christian Book Distributors!

Comments

1. Patti Bond says:

I would like to see more Amish receipes

2. D Stevens says:

Buggy’s are certainly expensive! Enjoy the recipes also… thanks

3. Connie Saunders says:

I was intrigued to learn that even though an Amish person may read the Bible, he or she is not encouraged to study it deeply for fear of becoming arrogant or even leaving the Amish lifestyle.

• I suspect it varies from church to church, Connie, but it seems that the intention behind it is to avoid pride. Hard for us to understand on this side of the fence–Bible study is something we are encouraged to do. Thankfully!

4. Jackie Tessnair says:

That buggies are not cheap and I didn’t know the amish were discouraged from Bible study.

5. cathy osborne says:

I loved learning about their lifestyle

6. Lisa Cowell says:

I learned about the cost of buggies when I was last in Holmes County, but never checked into the costs of the open, or courting, buggies. Maybe do a follow up article explaining those and their costs. I know some of the kids get them kind of “tricked out” with a few extras.
    Also, an explanation about the different kinds of Amish. For instance, my cousins are Swartzentruber, but my daughter’s “boyfriend” is from a Wisconsin group that allows some pretty high-tech farm equipment.

7. Martha Peace says:

I Would Love To Wn

8. Loretta Shumpert says:

With what the amish pay for their carriages and for their horses can be surprising. I’ve read that they sometimes pay ten grand for a horse.

9. Kathy Lane says:

I learned that studying the Bible is deeply discouraged.I would like to learn more about their way of gardening too.

10. Cris-Annette Nicholas says:

I learned the difference between Pacifists and Conscientious Objectors. I never knew that there was a difference until I read the article from the author who wrote that the Amish and her dauddy (I think that is how she spelled it) were Conscientious Objectors during World War II.

11. Theresa Schumann says:

I went to an Amish auction recently in Bonduel, WI. I am a sewer and was so impressed with the 248 quilts they had made to sell. The average sale price was lower than what I would expect considering the time it must take to hand quilt each one. I would like to learn more about the art of Amish quilt making and if I were to try to make one, what quilt block would they suggest for a beginner?