Friday Fun: Alphabet of Obsolete (Part 2)

The Alphabet of Obsolete — a humorous look at the things that don’t quite play the same role they used to a decade or so ago. Thank you for joining in the fun and sharing some of the things you think are scarce these days. Here’s the alphabet of obsolete we’ve come up with so far!

A – Audio tapes (Sharon McClendon Henning)
B – Bottle openers (Terri Kalmbach)
C – Carbon paper (Pam Kowal)
D – Dialing your phone numbers (Judy Smith Moseley MacLaren)
E – Eight track tapes (Karen Johnson)
F – Film projectors (Nancy Dunne Key)
G – Green stamps (Val Link)
H – Human relations (Mary Shipman)

I – Index Cards at Libraries (Regina F.)
J – Jukebox (Natalie J. Vandenberghe)
K – Kick the Can (Darlene Miller McFalls)
L –  Letter writing (Val Link)
M – Mimeograph (Jennifer Dunkelberger Pederson)
N – Newsboys (Jeni Lee)
O – Ozone (Linda Marier Finn)
P – Playing Jacks (Carol Carman)

Thank you for joining in the fun! Share more obsolete inventions, beginning with letters Q-Z, in the comment section for a chance to win Amish Values for Your Family! I’ll post the next set of the alphabet next week and announce the winner.

Speaking of winners, the winner of last week’s Friday Fun is Carol Carman! Email your mailing address to to claim your prize.

Good news! I’m giving away TWO iPads, TWO Kindles, and TWO Nooks to celebrate the release of The Calling! Check out my contest page for more details. Hurry, contest ends 2/8!

1. Ruth Hill says:

(I remember those!)

2. Amy Bateman says:

P – Penmanship
    R- Record players, rotary dial phones

3. Wilani Wahl says:

S Slips. I am finding it increasingly difficult to buy one.

4. Joanne Richel says:

V a victrola

5. Shirley M. Franklin says:

S – Secretary! For some crazy reason corporate America feels that it no longer needs secretaries/administrative assistants for most corporate officials. I was laid off after 13 years with a corporation, my position was eliminated – my boss was only the CFO, not a president of the division. He had to complete a project that I was working on – what would have taken me less than 45 minutes to complete took him three and a half hours! Not a good use of his time at all.

6. Natalie J Vandenberghe says:

I don’t hear much about Quince these days (I remember quince jam from my youth)

7. Pam McPherson says:

Quill-feather pen, now we use a stylus pen

8. quill, rabbits foot,safety pins, telegraph, uniform worn by union solders in civil war,victrola, wringer washer, xylophone,yo yo, ziz zag stitching

9. Melanie Backus says:

R – Razor blades for straight razors
    T – Troll dolls

10. Susie Koenig says:

Quill pen

11. Marsha C says:

R – Record Store V – VCR

12. Kathy Watts says:

Q: Quills; R: Rotary dial Telephones and Records; S: Sewing ones clothing & short wave radio & flour sifters; T: trapping & Telephone Booths; U: Unicorns; V: Victorola and Vinyls, we called them records, 33, 45 & 78; W: Wigwams X: Y: Z: Zoot Suits

13. Sonja says:

Roller Skate Key

14. Regina F. says:

This is from my hubby, Darren: Vacuum tube (from radios, tv’s, etc.)

15. Colette Crowell says:

18. Sue Williams says:

Q-quackish meant boasting

19. Laura Shuck says:

Record stores
    Telephone booths

20. Connie Roberts says:

soft drink bottles made of glass

21. Irene Menge says:

Quality – apparently it is no longer appreciated. Now it’s planned obsolescence.
    Relax – does anyone say or do this anymore? Now it’s ‘chill’ or ‘veg out’. Is relax a bad word?
    Spiffy – Strange word, but it was useful.
    Tape – Now it’s recorded on discs.
    Ukelele – Do they still have them in Hawaii?
    VCR – I still have the one I got 25 years ago and yes, I still use it. Can’t afford a DVR or Blue-ray thingie.
    Waltz – Does anyone do this anymore? I love to waltz. So romantic.
    Xylophone – Haven’t seen anyone playing one of these for a long time.
    Yardstick – Used to be fabric shops, lumber yards and such would give these away for advertising. Not anymore.
    Zany – They call it something else now.

22. donna harris says:

P. Pay phones
    S. School Books kids around here use ipads etc. for school lessons.
    T. Treadle sewing machine

23. Most fungi and bacteria prefer dampness, which is why symptoms tend to worsen in damp or moldy places, after eating foods containing sugar and or yeast.
    For further information visit: What Is Acid Reflux.
    Therefore, searching for MDR reversal agents and recovering the sensitivity of MDR cells to anti-neoplastic medicines provide a main therapy for neoplasm.

24. Patsy says:

What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this web site regularly, if so then you will absolutely obtain good know-how.

25. In other words, industry leadders inn the telecom industry are
    planning to change their business models to be more collaborative and more robust so that they
    can be competitive in the future. After you have set up a few different feeder sites,
    link them all to your main website and then to multiple Weeb 2.

Many off these websites have a PR rankingg from 6 to 10so don’t leet that
    hinder you from starting because your page rank will not be that high.

26. Evangeline says:

, when Greeks and Romans used magnifying glasses
    annd mirrors too focus sunlight for starting fires and
    lighting torches. I wrote thjs for myself, to save me
    having too do alll thhe calculations manually, and it includes a couple of worked examples to show what’s
    possible. Here is a list of a few common questions that
    pop up whenever there is diszcussion involving Solar Power Systems.