Friday Fun: Alphabet of Obsolete (Part 3)

fridayfun-obsolete

Our Alphabet of Obsolete is complete! Take a look below for a walk down memory lane. Thank you for joining in the fun and sharing some of the things you think are scarce these days!

A – Audio tapes (Sharon McClendon Henning)
B – Bottle openers (Terri Kalmbach)
C – Carbon paper (Pam Kowal)
D – Dialing your phone numbers (Judy Smith Moseley MacLaren)
E – Eight track tapes (Karen Johnson)
F – Film projectors (Nancy Dunne Key)
G – Green stamps (Val Link)
H – Human relations (Mary Shipman)

I – Index Cards at Libraries (Regina F.)
J – Jukebox (Natalie J. Vandenberghe)
K – Kick the Can (Darlene Miller McFalls)
L –  Letter writing (Val Link)
M – Mimeograph (Jennifer Dunkelberger Pederson)
N – Newsboys (Jeni Lee)
O – Ozone (Linda Marier Finn)
P – Playing Jacks (Carol Carman)

Q – Quill feather pens (Pam McPherson)
R – Rotary dial phones ( Amy Bateman)
S – Shorthand (Sonja)
T – Telegraph (Brenda Sterne)
U – Unicycles (Wendy Bailey)
V – Victrola (Joanne Richel)
W – Walkmans (Ruth Hill)
X – Xylophone (Laura Shuck)
Y – Yardstick (Irene Menge)
Z – Zoot suits (Kathy Watts)

What item are you glad is obsolete? Or what invention do you miss? Share in the comment section for a chance to win a copy of Amish Values for your Family!

Congratulations to the winner of  last week’s Friday Fun, Brenda Sterne! Email your mailing address to info@suzannewoodsfisher.com to claim your prize.

###

Good news! I’m giving away TWO iPads, TWO Kindles, and TWO Nooks to celebrate the release of The Calling! Check out my contest page for more details. Hurry, contest ends 2/8!

Comments

1. Melanie Backus says:

I am glad carbon paper is gone. It never failed that somewhere on my hands purple would be. This was fun!

melback at cebridge dot net

2. Rosemary Foley says:

I remember playing Pick Up Sticks with my mom and dad, it was fun and challenging at the same time !!!! 🙂 thanks

Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu

3. I’m glad that film is obsolete for every day photos. Lots of money was wasted on photos that were no good, but you didn’t know until you went to pick them up. With digital, you can see right away if you need a re-take. Much better!

4. Shannon Bereza says:

There are several thatim definitely not sad to see go like carbon paper and Walkmans, but there are a few I miss. The ozone of course because I’m an Earth lover and hope our planet survives our lack of respect. And I really miss letter writing. There is just something about old fashioned letters. It’s just not the same getting a ding on your phone saying you have a new email and with social media people are always connected.

5. Donna B says:

I’m glad that carbon paper is no longer needed. Printers are so much better!!!!

6. Kathy Watts says:

I still use bottle openers and yard sticks, I write letters to elderly aunts and great aunts, especially send them cards at most holidays. I still own a working record player stereo that also plays and records cassette tapes and has an 8 track player, also does AM/FM. We own 8 track and cassette tapes and a few records. My parents have all of Elvis Presley in 45 and 33, they were huge fans! Also Patsy Cline.
    I miss Human Relations in businesses, I hate automated answering of phones. I miss kids playing outside with a vivid imagination and coming up with games. I had 2 years of shorthand in school and only things I can remember how to write is Dear Sir/Madam, (if you don’t use it, you loose it!)
    Playing the game was lots of fun! Loved seeing the answers of others too!

• Melody says:

We are still using a dictionary, landline, vcr and watches. My kids LOVE typewriters and found an old one at a garage sale.

7. Regina Fujitani says:

I wish they would bring green stamps back…I remember as a kid going into the green stamp store and oogling the toys! Hey I was a kid. lol I really don’t remember the concept of it but I think it would be useful.

Carbon paper I definetly will not miss!

8. Kristine Morgan says:

I have to admit I miss card catalogues! I really enjoyed going through them and finding new authors.

9. Joanne Richel says:

L. Letter writing. I still write to a favorite Aunt that does not use a computer at all, but I miss letters from friends I have made across the USA. My ex husband and I drove an 18 wheeler for several years. Well, he drove for more than that but I was with him for just several and we made some very nice friends across country. I miss the letters I use to receive and only keep in contact now through Christmas cards and sometimes on the computer.

10. Lisa Cowell says:

I certainly do not miss carbon paper, or its cousin, the mimeograph!

11. Judo or jujitsu is useful when battling in close quarters, because you will want to grapple your enemy.
    Other things may also be important to you like parking,
    and facilities ‘ write them down. I’ve witnessed what this does for older
    kids who’ve been training for several years.

12. I don’t drop a great deal of responses, but i did a few searching and wound
    up here Alphabet of Obsolete (Part 3). And I actually do have some questions for you
    if it’s allright. Could it be simply me or does it look as if like a few of the comments come across like left by brain dead individuals?
    😛 And, if you are posting at other social sites, I’d like to keep up with everything new you have to post.
    Could you list of every one of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or
    linkedin profile?