Friday Fun: Alphabet of Obsolete

I loved this photo one of my Facebook friends shared with me — a humorous look at things that don’t quite play the same role they used to a decade or so ago. I started wondering  . . . what other inventions are obsolete? So I asked you on Facebook what else is scarce these days. Here are some of things you came up with:

A – Audio tapes (Sharon McClendon Henning)
B – Bottle openers (Terri Kalmbach)
C – Carbon paper (Pam Kowal)
D – Dialing your phone numbers (Judy Smith Moseley MacLaren)
E – Eight track tapes (Karen Johnson)
F – Film projectors (Nancy Dunne Key)
G – Green stamps (Val Link)
H – Human relations (Mary Shipman)

Thank you for joining in the fun! Share more obsolete inventions, beginning with letters I-P, in the comment section for a chance to win Amish Values for Your Family! I’ll post the next set of the alphabet next week and announce the winner.

Speaking of winners, the winner of last week’s Friday Fun is Amy Bateman! Email your mailing address to to claim your prize.

Good news!! I’ll be on tour January 15th through the 20th to various locations in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Check out the details here or in the sidebar. I’d love to meet you!

1. Regina F. says:

I = Index Cards at the Library

2. Connie Roberts says:

Paper grocery bags, there are a few stores that offer paper but not many, it’s all plastic or those reusable bags.

3. Shannon Bereza says:

Movie rental stores (not totally obsolete but on the way). Also VCR’s and paper maps (even though I still have an Atlas in my car).

• Shannon Bereza says:

People also say the Nook is on its way out. I’m very sad about this because I love Barnes & Noble and my first generation Nook.

4. sonja1971 says:

Plastic pants for diapers…

5. Melanie Backus says:

Brush hair rollers were used many years ago. I haven’seen any in a long while.

melback at cebridge dot net

6. Carol Carman says:

Powder puff mitts

7. Carol Carman says:

8. Carol Carman says:

Playing jacks

9. Carol Carman says:

10. Natalie J Vandenberghe says:

I love this (even though it makes me feel SO old! LOL)
    Other people wrote some of my ideas for I-P before I got here, so I’ll say jukebox–which hasn’t been around for a long time, but maybe the younger generation doesn’t know what it is (their loss)

11. Sandi Ansell says:

i – icecube trays…and ice cream in gallons–it doesn’t come in gallons anymore. 🙁

12. Elicia P says:

13. Royce Seabaugh says:

Inkpen 🙂

14. Amy Bateman says:

J – Jacks, Jump rope (and other outdoor activities)
    P – People skills, personal conversations

15. Rach Merrott says:

Kerosene lanterns, laser disc players, outhouses, popcorn popper nets( from my daughter who loves Little House).

16. Rach Merritt says:

Ice box …we have come a long way. My daddy used an icebox growing up

17. Carol Edwards says:

P- Paper Money

18. Connie Kiers says:

iron & ironing board

19. Jan Hall says:

Gee whiz. I still have and use some of the items listed. Ice pick. Ice cube trays, iron & ironing board, VCR Phonograph, P38 (opens cans) brush hair rollers, antique juicer.

20. Donna B says:

Pencils and pencil sharpeners.

21. Carol Carman says:

22. The summer day camps allow your children to be active and enjoy themselves in a supervised manner for a day.
    My great grandfather would often take note of clear-water springs as he traveled back
    to the front line of pines, and he and the toppers would sometimes take a break mid-afternoon by one of these springs.
    This Summer camp course is for children interested in Filmmaking, Web Design and
    Photography. Many children thrive with time
    for their inner creativity and exploratory natures to develop.

Basically these with offer the standard drop protection with not that much else.
    As spring gets into full swing it is time to start thinking about summer and planning all of those typical summer
    activities for you and your family. All details pertaining to the various camp activities,
    fees etc will be given in the brochures. These camps are designed to give support and
    education to children who are overweight.
    Any dream or goal before you can be approached this way.
    Rigorous physical training and exercises strengthen the child’s health and body.

23. Meanwhile Wise’s $70 million Ponzi scheme, in which he was
    accused of conning more than 120 ‘investors’ in at least 13 states out of substantial
    amounts of money, some, their life savings, began to collapse.
    Module 1: The fundamentals: This module is about usual tactics
    of CPA promotion and marketing and advertising and marketing.
    I know the rest can still pull through, and I would be willing to wait
    it out till they have drawn all the bolts and knots to come up with
    the final tally.

24. self tans says:

If possible, avoid the beach too, as the sand might stick to your skin. Gone are the days when you could spot someone with
    a fake tan a mile off, not only because they were bright orange and streaky, but also because
    they were one of the only people looking a strange
    shade of tangerine in a sea of sun-bronzed natural tans.
    Apparently evolutionarily attuned to sightings of these red bottomed fashion items, they began to swarm.
    The main benefit of applying these products is
    that you don’t need to go to a beauty salon and spend hundreds of dollars for
    every sitting to gain a natural-looking suntan.
    This type of tan normally last 7 to 10 days and that is plenty of time to go on a vacation or attend a special
    event. If you haven’t seen it, well, then there’s a link
    below for your enjoyment. The dead skin will fall off
    your body soon and you will be left with your winter white skin once again. First of all,
    THE most important part of a spray tan is the solution being used by your technician. A lot of people
    recommend getting colored or instant tanners so that you can see where the tan is going on and how thickly but I recommend a gradual tanner.

After you have completely dried out, give yourself 8-10 hours before stepping inside the shower.

25. When I was 16 years old, I broke a bone in my foot and, rather than seeing a doctor or getting an x-ray, I continued walking on it for days.
    Choose a top that is loose but form fitting as some of
    the poses are inverted, which means that your head will come down below
    your hips and could cause your top to ride up.
    The anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-viral, and additionally
    anti-septic characteristics reduce the outbreak of the problem by practically NINETY
    PERCENT in a lot of instances.

26. In the celebs over the red floor covering to the gals in the powder room at a
    wedding event, it seems that folks have gone physique shaping crazy; it is
    worn out for a particular outfit. Fitness gurus that engage in outdoor sports appreciate clothes that enhance visibility
    as well as promote safety and comfort. Add to the fact
    that elements of rebellious youth culture, be it punk, skater, hip hop or metal, often embrace
    the hoodie as the outfit of choice, notoriously linking it to gangs or unseemly behavior.