A Day in My Life: Steve’s Serious Ice Cream

Most of you know that my husband is a SERIOUS ice cream maker . . . plus, he’s a serious guy (Hence the name! It has a double meaning). Lindsey, our eldest, is not only a nutrition major, but went to Ice Cream School with Steve at Penn State. She’s his sous chef and main consultant. They’ve been known to spend hours talking about minute details of ice cream making on the phone on weekends. Before she returned to Seattle last week, they tried a new feature: homemade cones! They were RIDICULOUSLY good! Made with almond extract—had a crisp butter cookie flavor and texture. Paired with Salted Cream Ice Cream . . . oh, my. Goodbye diet.

icecream1

icecream2

Blake was the sampler.

icecream3

First one was thick enough to break a tooth. Second one was burnt. Third one had a hole at the bottom.

icecream4

icecream5

icecream6

icecream7

icecream8

Finally . . . everything worked!

icecream9

Steve has tried some new flavors this summer: Peach Crumble. Apricot Crumble. Cherry Almond Chocolate. Balsamic Strawberry. All so delicious! What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

LIKE this post?

###

Comments

1. Kathleen Berman says:

My husband is the one who loves ice cream. Those cones look pretty good to me, though. Now, I would eat one of those all by itself and skip the ice cream. I am not a big ice cream lover. See, I know what to do with the cones with holes at the bottom! If I had to have ice cream in it….chocolate, please.

2. Debra Harbour says:

It looks like you are using a Norwegian Krumkake iron. My mother used to make Krumkake at Christmas time. They could be filled with anything from whipped cream to fruit. I can see that they would make wonderful ice cream cones. I usually ate them plain, without anything in them. Such a light and tasty treat. Enjoy!

3. Melanie Backus says:

The ice cream, the cones, it all sounds wonderful to me. I am a chocolate chip ice cream lover and I have a hard time staying away from soft serve yogart as well. Yum!!!!! I think it is great that your husband has such an interest—–diets, goodbye!!!!!!

4. These look delicious! I would have to say that my favorite ice cream flavor is Strawberry Cheesecake. =)

Have a wonderful day!

5. Tara Woods says:

It’s a toss-up between strawberry and butter pecan. I haven’t had homemade ice cream since I was a little girl.

6. Sounds like Steve is really serious about his ice cream. It is so fun to read about his adventure’s. And what a wonderful things for him and Lindsey to share in this adventure. My favorite is chocolate.

7. Lee says:

If you want to salvage the ones with holes at the bottom, just stick a mini marshmallow in the bottom. No dripping 🙂

8. Debbie Rhoades says:

I adore ice cream. If I actually kept it in my freezer, I really would be 5 foot wide lol. My favorite flavor is peach. Then chocolate almond. then butter pecan. then strawberry. then turtle. LOL now, I am hungry.

Debbie Rhoades