Have you ever thought about writing a book? Maybe you should give it a try! | Guest Post by Judy Christie

A few weeks ago, sitting around a lunch table with a book club, the conversation centered on two of my favorite topics – reading and writing. One of the readers mentioned that she’d like to write a book, a sentiment I hear from many people.

I believe that lots of folks have words within them —  words waiting to get out in some form or fashion, whether the person considers herself a writer or not.

Maybe you, too, have an idea for a book, and this might be the very time to put words on paper. You may want to ease in with a journal or start a file on your computer. I keep a notebook in my purse and jot down ideas and observations.  I’m also an avid letter-writer and find that capturing thoughts for friends and family is a great creative exercise.

I didn’t write my first novel until I turned 50 – and in five years, I’ve had six novels published, including my brand-new “Downtown Green.”  From that writing journey, I’ve realized that too often we put off doing things that can be fun and interesting.

If you have an idea, sit down and write. See where the story leads.  You may capture something for your children or grandchildren or come up with a best-selling book. You may learn more about yourself and how you’re intended to live. When we write things down, we tend to sort them out and perhaps observe those around us with a keener eye.
For me, writing is part of my call, of trying to be more of the person I was created to be.

How about you? I’d love to read your comments. Have you dreamed of writing a book, or do you write in a diary or send letters?

P.S. If you’d like a free tipsheet on writing, sign up for my newsletter at www.judychristie.com, and I’ll send you a sheet on setting priorities and one about writing. These aren’t fancy, but they include some of the things I’ve learned along the way.

Judy Christie is a writer. She always has been, in one way or the other, which still amazes her. At the moment, she is celebrating the release of “Downtown Green,” the fifth novel in the Green series (Abingdon Press), about a big-city journalist who winds up running a paper in the fictional, small town of Green, Louisiana. She’s also the author of the nonfiction “Hurry Less Worry Less” series, including “Hurry Less Worry Less for Moms.”  When she’s not writing, she likes to chat on her vintage green Kitchen Couch or sit in the porch swing and read. You can find her at www.judychristie.com, www.facebook.com/judychristie and www.Twitter.com/judypchristie.  For free weekly tips on how to slow down and enjoy each day, check out her podcast.

1. Suzanne says:

Judy–I love the encouragement you give to others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on writing today! Suzanen

2. Mel says:

Thanks for sharing. One question for Judy, how do you sign up for your newsletter? I can't find a link and when I click on newsletter it takes me to a page that says read past archives and when I click on that, it takes me to a marketing website. http://www.icontact.com/

I'd like to sign up 🙂

Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

3. Rachel says:

Yes, I've actually written a trilogy but I never have expected to see them published. But you have encouraged me again!! Thank you!
    Btw, I read & enjoyed "going to green". 🙂

4. Brooke says:

I would love to write a book. In fact, I'm just really wanting to start a blog. I've been journaling for a while now…and always think…oh I should share that. I am so afraid to write it….in a journal, I think its easy..only I read it…but when you write for an audience. You are so open…so vunerable. But, I am excited about seeing where a blog could go…but I hope to try blogging and see where I can go with this…I do truly want to share my story…….thanks for the encouraging post!

5. Judy says:

Delighted to read about works in progress and the dreams of writers! I've made it easier to receive the free tip sheet for writers at http://www.judychristie.com. If you have a problem downloading it, please e-mail me, judy@judychristie.com. Have a wonderful week, and thank you, Suzanne, for letting me stop by to visit! Judy Christie

6. Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites?
    I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my readers would appreciate your work.
    If you are even remotely interested,feel free to shoot
    me an email.

7. YES says:

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topoic but I was wondering iif you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

8. POOR says:

Fastidious answer back iin return of this query with firm arguments andd
    describing all concerning that.

9. CITY says:

It’s going to be end of mine day, except before finish I am reading this great piece of writing to improve my knowledge.

10. metanews.com says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and
    I am waiting for your further post thank you once again.