Conversations with Dad

Just a warning…this is a two-hanky post.

On Friday, my sister accompanied my mom to Dad’s doctor appointment at the Stanford Memory Clinic.

Dad has had a difficult month–he was hit with a bad intestinal virus that kept him out of commission for a while. Then, he couldn’t get out of bed one day and ended up in the emergency room. Turned out he had a compression fracture in a vertebrae…just due to old age.

So Dad has declined quite a bit this month. He’s weak and lethargic, even to the point of whispering, as if it takes too much energy to project his voice.

Back to the doctor’s appointment on Friday…the doctor told Mom and my sister that Dad is now in late stages of Alzheimer’s. He said that falling will be a concern as Dad’s balance and coordination fails. He wants Dad to have a walker to help stabilize him. All of this information wasn’t a surprise, but it’s still hard news to hear.

But then there was one moment…a gift. A mercy. A sweet memory among many sad ones.

Dad doesn’t have much vocabulary left, but when the doctor asked him who mom was, he whispered something back. The doctor looked at Mom and asked, “Did you hear what he just said?”

Mom shook her head.

“When I asked him who you were, he whispered, ‘She’s…my everything.'”

1. Mary Lou says:

How precious. As someone else has on her posts..T.A.N.W. which stands for there are no words. What a beautiful memory. What a blessing.

2. Joanna Bloss says:

oh for pete's sake Suzanne-I know you warned me, but I just put on make-up and everything.

this sweet story has the chill factor-thank you for giving us a glimpse into your world.

3. Mocha with Linda says:

Oh my. What a sweet moment – I know your mom will cherish that forever.

I hope your dad can adjust to the walker. It's hard for Alz. patients to comprehend new things.

Big hugs to you as you and your family turn a final corner with your dad.

4. Lo says:

What a true blessing that must have been for your mother to hear that. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful moment.

5. April W Gardner says:

What Nicholas Sparks moment.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment with us. What a gift for your mom.

6. Anonymous says:

There are three stories about your dad that are powerful testimony:
    1. When he had trouble remembering daily routines such as brushing his teeth, he remembered how to give offering at church.
    2. When he had trouble remembering names of family members, he remembered ALL the words to his favorite hymn.
    3. Now as words escape him as he tries to answer the simplest of questions, he remembers how to answer the important ones.

Alzhiemer's has taken his earthly mind but his soul is still true to God.

7. Anonymous says:

Psalm 108:1
    My heart is steadfast, O God!….

8. Jean Wise says:

oo, that is so beautiful. I think you all will remember that moment. Says a lot about the man behind the disease. my prayers are with you.

9. Mark says:

that's awesome

10. Elizabeth-Plain and Simple says:

… you did warn us. What a precious moment for you all to have, especially your mom. My dad passed away two years ago on Father's Day and I cherish any and all memories of him. He was recovering from a broken hip from a fall due to his balance and coordination failing. Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment with us.